Saturday, November 2, 2013

SQUASH AND APPLES

I really like winter squash when it's in season and I like to try new recipes; and to invent. A long time ago, I started cooking squash together with apples and it turned out quite well.  I always had trouble cutting squash so someone recommended that I put it in the microwave first to soften it. So I made some slits with a knife and then set it in the microwave uncovered, uncut and put it on 5 minutes. Then I let it set until it was cool enough to handle. It's then very easy to cut and take the seeds out. For this recipe I used butternut squash.




3 lbs. butternut squash cut in cubes
2  medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced     
1/4 cup packaged brown sugar
2 T butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cover squash and apples and cook on high until tender, approx. 7 or 8 minutes. It does cook fast and can easily burn so make sure you have enough water in it.Then drain water. Add brown sugar, butter and spices and blend in. Heat through until butter and sugar are melted.

I have also made this using maple syrup and raisins but it seemed too sweet.
I used Ginger Gold apples this time, but  Mackintosh get a little softer. I kind of press the squash down with a large spoon to mash some of it, leaving for the most part, the chunks.

No comments: